As a matter of corporate policy, all JSA employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful hires will be required to provide COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to the COVID-19 vaccination.
Come join our team at Jefferson Lab, where great minds matter.
Posting Date: 06/6/2022
Salary Range: $136,700 - $205,100 (SSA)
Work Location Type: Flexible On-site (working more than 60% on-site)
What your job will be like:
Are you looking to join a team of high performing professionals, who are focus – driven and
motivated to meeting a standard of organizational success? If so, consider joining Jefferson
Science Associates as the Business /Finance Manager & CFO. As a member of senior
leadership, the Business/Finance Manager & CFO, reports to the Chief Operating Officer, and is
responsible for leading a staff of over forty (40) professionals, for the business and financial
policies, processes, and systems needed to sustain and enhance the research and development
mission of JSA. The Business/Finance Manager & CFO serves as the Prime Contract Manager,
is the organization’s interface with the DOE Contracting Officer, and works with various
stakeholders both within and external to the organization.
In this role you will:
- Functional Management: Organize, leads, integrate, and develop the staff and business systems needed to manage the prime contract, subcontracts and procurement, finance and accounting, and travel services. Provide contracts and finance expertise to Laboratory staff and management to promote technology transfer, commercialization, and protection of the organization’s intellectual property.
- Prime Contract Management: Notify management and staff of all changes in contract requirements, continuously monitors requirement compliance, and elevate financial, legal or compliance issues and risks for timely management attention. Provide or obtain expert interpretation of contractual rights and obligations and options for mitigating risk. Integrate staff expertise to evaluate contract changes, impacts, and implementation plans in response to contract changes. Negotiates complex modifications on behalf of JSA.
- Compliance and Risk Management: Align finance and business services to enable and enhance the organization’s research and development mission while achieving the dual mandate for responsive customer service and rigorous compliance with contract terms and conditions.
- Business Process Streamlining: Synthesize leadership direction, resource constraints, and contract requirements to formulate streamlined policies and procedures. Evaluates alternatives to new requirements, business opportunities, and process shortcomings, characterize costs and risks to inform sound organizational decision making.
- Leads strategic business process improvement initiatives related to business systems, policies, and/or procedures. Assures integration of financial and business processes with the CPO who is responsible for budget development and organization-wide resource allocation.
- Internal/External Stakeholder Management: Develops and maintains excellent relationships with customers, superiors, peers, auditors, reviewers, and subordinates. Prepares and presents clear, concise, and timely written correspondence, policies, procedures, and briefings. Organizes and maintains complete and accessible business records.
- Serves as the primary interface with JSA Board of Directors and functional committees on matters relating to assigned functional areas.
Qualifications We Require:
Education: BS/BA in Business, Finance, Accounting or equivalent
15 years of directly related work experience
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Demonstrated experience managing, overseeing, or performing complex, federal cost type contracts within the Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR) and interpreting contract requirements to achieve compliance with federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
- In-depth knowledge of maintaining business/financial systems in compliance with Cost Accounting Standards (CAS) and overseeing the development of timely and accurate financial reports, regulatory filings, and disclosure statements.
- Highly skilled at selecting, training, and coaching a high-performance business operations staff, communicating effectively, and acting decisively when performance or behaviors deviate from the organization’s high standards.
- Present and express ideas and information clearly and in a manner appropriate for the audience, facilitates the open exchange of information, and skillfully negotiates solutions with the customer, staff, subcontractors, suppliers, and technology transfer partners.
- Ability to develop and implement a long-term business and/or financial organizational strategy, that includes, people, processes, while limiting risk
- A demonstrated commitment to (i) the safety of staff, subcontractors, vendors, suppliers, users, and visitors, (ii) a respectful, diverse, and inclusive work environment, and (iii) integrity, ethical conduct, and avoidance of real or perceived conflicts of interest.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities Preferred:
- Experience with R&D (FAR Part 35) and M&O contracts (FAR Part 17.6)
About Jefferson Lab Join a community with a common purpose of solving the most challenging scientific and engineering problems of our time. The Jefferson Lab campus is located in southeastern Virginia amidst a vibrant and growing technology community.
A career at Jefferson Lab is more than a job. You will be part of “big science” and work alongside top scientists and engineers from around the world unlocking the secrets of our visible universe. Managed by Jefferson Science Associates, LLC; Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility is entering an exciting period of mission growth and is seeking new team members ready to apply their skills and passion to have an impact. You could call it work, or you could call it a mission. We call it a challenge. We do things that will change the world.
Total Rewards at Jefferson Lab
At Jefferson Lab, we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (Paid Parental, vacation, holidays, and sick leave)
- 401(k) Plan – 9% Lab Contribution; 100% vested
- Flexible Work Arrangements (Remote & Alternate Work Schedules available)
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Live near the waterways of the Chesapeake Bay region with access to nearby beaches, mountains, and all major metropolitan centers on the East Coast
Jefferson Science Associates, LLC (JSA) manages and operates the Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility (Jefferson Lab). JSA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, or veteran status or on any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law. As part of the JSA’s equal employment opportunity policy, we also take affirmative action as called for by applicable laws and Executive Orders to ensure that minority group individuals, females, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, other protected veterans, Armed Forces, and qualified disabled persons are introduced into our workforce and considered for promotional opportunities.
JSA is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities (unless doing so will result in an undue hardship). If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to employment @ jlab.org or call (757) 269-7598 to provide the nature of your request. Reasonable accommodations are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Employment with JSA is conditional upon DOE approval if at any time during your employment you are participating in a Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Program or Affiliated activity. Generally, such programs/activities include any foreign-state-sponsored attempt to acquire U.S.-funded scientific research through programs run or funded by the government that target scientists, engineers, students, academics, researchers, and entrepreneurs of all nationalities working or educated in the United States. This includes positions or appointments, both domestic and foreign, titled academic, professional, or institutional appointments whether or not remuneration is received and whether full-time, part-time or voluntary.