As a matter of corporate policy, all JSA employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful hires will be required to provide COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to the COVID-19 vaccination.
Posting Date: 10/03/2022
Salary Range: $107,400 - $169,600 (SE III)
Work Location Type: Hybrid (combination of on-site and remote work based on business needs)
What your job will be like:
The Project Engineer is responsible for oversight of conventional facilities capital projects daily management, supervision, coordination, and successful completion of the project to meet time and cost objectives with respect to safety, quality, scheduling, estimating, and contract administration functions. Position is responsible for oversight of the project planning, design, construction implementation and startup coordination. Position will have primary responsibility for managing the scope, schedule, and budget. The Project Engineer will utilize tools and develop solutions to conflicts related to project implementation by presenting options to the Project Director and senior management when decisions are needed.
In this role, you will:
- Responsible for conventional facilities capital projects daily management, supervision, coordination, and successful completion of the project to meet time and cost objectives with respect to safety, quality, scheduling, estimating, and contract administration functions.
- In conjunction with the Project Director, collaborates with JLab and customer stakeholders to define project objectives, requirements, and key performance parameters.
- Safely achieve project requirements on time and on budget including DOE Notable Outcomes, milestones, performance and technical requirements, and key performance parameters.
- Engage JLab stakeholders and subject matter experts to identify hazards, potential environmental impacts and coordinates the development of plans and controls for their mitigation throughout the project life cycle.
- Oversee and manage all aspects of project execution including safety, risk, scope, cost, budget, and schedule and change control.
- Provide oversight related to project planning, design, construction implementation and startup coordination.
- Identify JLab staff and other resource and service requirements and acts to secure their timely acquisition or procurement in concert with project needs.
- Provide project direction, oversight, and feedback to assigned project staff.
- Utilize tools and develop solutions to conflicts related to project implementation by presenting options to the Project Director and senior management when decisions are needed.
- Identify project issues and adverse trends and implements timely and effective recovery plan(s), when needed
- Issue timely and accurate project reports and communicates project performance to JLab and DOE stakeholders.
- Oversee and manage project closeout including turnover to end user/operations and disposition of documents and records.
- Work with all technical groups to ensure alignment of schedules, logistics, and budget for the successful technical startup of facility.
- Utilize project management tools to track and report project cost estimation, cost updates, change control, and contingency draw-down as appropriate.
- Monitor contractor performance and identify opportunities to improve quality and lower cost
Qualifications We Require:
- Bachelors in Engineering, Architecture, Construction Management, or related field
- At least ten years (not academic) increasingly responsible professional experience managing complex design and construction projects over $50M. Project management experience relates to overall control of a project’s budget, scope and schedule.
- In depth knowledge of construction and industrial safety practices.
- Demonstrated competency in the areas of estimating, scheduling, budgeting/cost control, field supervision, financial reporting, client relationship, interpersonal skills, computer skills, safety/insurance, ability to communicate, both written and oral.
- Experience with DOE project management system requirements and practices.
- Demonstrated experience in managing projects using an Earned Valued Management System (EVMS).
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Strong capital and operating cost knowledge for scientific laboratory facilities and campus site utilities
- Strong leadership, supervisory skills and analytical skills with ability to identify and resolve complex problems; make recommendations to management; and conduct risk analysis and to make timely, risk informed decisions.
- Demonstrated team building skills, including the ability to work effectively with peers, other organizations, project sponsors and stakeholders and suppliers.
- Demonstrated knowledge of work breakdown structure (WBS), sequencing, resource loading and other cost/schedule control. Experience with Primavera scheduling software, or equivalent.
- Superior communication and presentation skills to provide adequate levels of transparency to all members of the project team and stakeholders.
- Excellent Computer skills (PC/Mac). Proficient knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite including: Word, PowerPoint, Excel using advanced excel functions.
- Excellent verbal/written communications, time management, interpersonal and organizational skills and explain work to their supervisor and others in the group
- Ability to direct/coordinate work among teams, groups with the ability to work collaboratively with individuals at all levels in the organization in a team environment.
- Developing and/or creating new or more effective ideas, approaches methods, procedures, training, etc.
- Strong organizational skills, with ability to execute multiple parallel projects.
Qualifications We Desire:
- PE/Architect registration is preferred
- Advanced degree in related field preferred
- Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification preferred
- OSHA 30 Certification is preferred but is required no later than 6 months after employment.
- Past experience at DOE Labs and/or managing DOE 413.3b projects is preferred.
- Past experience as an Earned Value Management System (EVMS) Control Account Manager is preferred
About Jefferson Lab
Join a community with a common purpose of solving the most challenging scientific and engineering problems of our time. The Jefferson Lab campus is located in southeastern Virginia amidst a vibrant and growing technology community.
A career at Jefferson Lab is more than a job. You will be part of “big science” and work alongside top scientists and engineers from around the world unlocking the secrets of our visible universe. Managed by Jefferson Science Associates, LLC; Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility is entering an exciting period of mission growth and is seeking new team members ready to apply their skills and passion to have an impact. You could call it work, or you could call it a mission. We call it a challenge. We do things that will change the world.
Total Rewards at Jefferson Lab
At Jefferson Lab, we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (Paid Parental, vacation, holidays, and sick leave)
- 401(k) Plan – 9% Lab Contribution; 100% vested
- Flexible Work Arrangements (Remote & Alternate Work Schedules available)
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Live near the waterways of the Chesapeake Bay region with access to nearby beaches, mountains, and all major metropolitan centers on the East Coast
Jefferson Science Associates, LLC (JSA) manages and operates the Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility (Jefferson Lab). JSA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, or veteran status or on any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law. As part of the JSA’s equal employment opportunity policy, we also take affirmative action as called for by applicable laws and Executive Orders to ensure that minority group individuals, females, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, other protected veterans, Armed Forces, and qualified disabled persons are introduced into our workforce and considered for promotional opportunities.
JSA is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities (unless doing so will result in an undue hardship). If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to employment @ jlab.org or call (757) 269-7598 to provide the nature of your request. Reasonable accommodations are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Employment with JSA is conditional upon DOE approval if at any time during your employment you are participating in a Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Program or Affiliated activity. Generally, such programs/activities include any foreign-state-sponsored attempt to acquire U.S.-funded scientific research through programs run or funded by the government that target scientists, engineers, students, academics, researchers, and entrepreneurs of all nationalities working or educated in the United States. This includes positions or appointments, both domestic and foreign, titled academic, professional, or institutional appointments whether or not remuneration is received and whether full-time, part-time or voluntary.